witchmond is central virginia A\V culture

immortalizing epithets on the WWW

contact us 2 b reviewed / previewed / viewed
ANDY DUNLAP | chriskattan42@yahoo.com |
DYLAN MULSHINE | musicmakingmachine@gmail.com |

event listings for central VA are below
if you want your show on the calendar contact us
if you get lost just click the ring of fire


Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mogwai / Fuck Buttons @ The National (09-16-08)



Last week me and my brother with some of his friends went to go see Mogwai & Fuck Buttons play @ The National. When i first heard that Fuck Buttons were opening for Mogwai I had a feeling of disappointment because i'll be blunt with you, I've never really been that much of a Mogwai fan, I've found their albums to be very boring, theres always this big build up going on in their songs but nothing seems to ever actually happen with this build up, it just builds and builds and then ends with no real moment of satisfaction. Even with this feeling or negativeness towards Mogwai I knew that I was going to have to go to this show because I was so blown away by the show Fuck Buttons put on when they came to Charlottesville. (as well as the fact that the album Street Horrsing that Fuck Buttons dropped this year is in competition for being the best album of 2008)

When the day of the show came I was really quite excited, I was mega pumped to see Fuck Buttons bring their noisy glory to The National, and I was really hoping that I would be able to understand the beast that is Mogwai because I like to enjoy my concerts (I assume most people do to)

So we get to the venue a little late (this is due to the gang picking up some Vietnamese dinner....really not sure the name of the place). Anyway we got to the venue just as Fuck Buttons area about to start their set and let me say they put on a fucking terrific show. Theirs something just mind blowing about this sonic energy that comes out of that band. Also I must give my props to the sound people at The National for actually not messing up Fuck Buttons sound and letting them take advantage of the very nice sound system they have at The National. So More or less if you ever get the opportunity to catch these guys live don't think twice about it, because their show is orgasmic brain ride that I couldn't reccomend with any bit more passion

Now after about like a 30-40 minute wait Mogwai came on and I'm gonna be blunt I have never in my entire life seen a show that was more boring. There's something just so lifeless and so lacking about this band's live presence that I literally decided to go up to the balcony and see if zoning out and meditating would help me understand this beast that is Mogwai. Well sad news about that, I tried to meditate but what more or less happened was I feel asleep. That's right for a good 5 -10 minutes andy literally was asleep (Maybe it was me exhausted from all that exam studying I had been doing, or maybe its the fact that Mogwai is just boring)

Overall the night was very good, even with me sounding like a negative nancy about how I feel about Mogwai, and I must say one last thing. Damn Mogwai is good at being loud. I mean DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

No comments: